Friday, December 7, 2012

Old draft I found...

I found this old draft of a post I started and never finished. It made me laugh. My mom is awesome:

I probably don't talk enough on this blog about how amazing my parents are..mainly because I'm too lazy for blogging. But I wanted to share 2 stories about them that show why I think they are great. [Editor's note: I have no idea what the 2nd story was]

I had a conversation with my mom a while ago when she was here visiting that was pretty amazing. When I was growing up, my Mom liked to tell us that she used to date Larry Bird. That's right! My mom dated THE Larry Bird, the pastey hall of famer from the Boston Celtics. I'm pretty sure I even went to school and bragged to some classmates about it. Later as I got older and realized that Indiana and Boston (where Larry played his basketball) were no where near Montana or Utah (where my mom grew up), I figured out some things just weren't adding up. So for probably 20 years of my life, I had assumed that she was just telling a half truth to be funny and that in reality she had dated some cowboy from Montana who had also been named Larry Bird.

Nope! It was all a complete lie! When she said she dated Larry Bird, she did, in fact, mean THE Larry Bird. Except, she never met Larry Bird the basketball player, and she never even knew a Larry Bird growing up. When asked why she had started the lie, she had no real answer for it either. She just thought it was funny!

My dad said it was really fun for him because whenever he would do something wrong, my mom would remind him that Larry had never treated her that way!