Friday, December 12, 2008

Synesthesia and Super Powers...

Not long ago, Jaime and I were having a minor dispute about important things like which fruits and juices are the best. Somehow the conversation turned to which letters are better than others. Jaime has always believed that the letter K should be eliminated from the alphabet, since C is "soooo much better." I, on the other hand, know the truth...that K would kick C's trash any day. In the argument, Jaime explained to me that C is by far more masculine than K. I'll let anyone that reads this set her straight on that point because it is a ridiculous argument. Anyway, then Jaime proceeded to tell me that K is more feminine because it is pink. In her mind, K has always been pink. When I stared at her dumbfounded, she then asked me, "Haven't you always thought of letters as having colors?" And said it in an accusatory tone as if to point out that I was the crazy one!

Why am I telling you this? Because I told Keck about this conversation last week, and he sent me a link to Dinosaur Cartoons (click on the image to go to the site and see the rest of the cartoon):



She's not crazy. She just has a super power!!! Wikipedia has a nice long article on Synesthesia and it is pretty interesting stuff. Click here to read it. Do any of you suffer from this super power as well? I want to hear about other peoples' sensory overlaps.

I don't have this particular super power, but I can tell you one thing...K is not pink.

6 comments:

Kaylene said...

Thank you for sticking up for K! While I have come to be fond of pink a little in my old age (used to hate it), K is still much better than C. I actually rather dislike the letter C. Sorry Jaime :)

On another note, I REALLY DO have number-form synesthesia! I can't believe you found it for me! Thanks, guys... I used to try to explain the way my mind did math to people and they thought I was crazy...

And on a completely unrelated note, your baby really is very adorable. For real.

Michael said...

Dinosaur Comics rocks! I've been reading it for about a year now. If you like that you might also like:

http://basicinstructions.net/
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/
http://hijinksensue.com/
http://www.superpoop.com/
http://www.saturdaybulletin.com/
http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/

And this last one is really geeky and mostly enjoyed by programming/math geeks, but it's really funny:

http://xkcd.com/

M said...

Jeremy's senior BFA project involved writing a paper on synaesthesia (particularly regarding music and color). We have a good friend who is a synaesthete - she's a musician and "sees" colors when she plays notes on her clarinet. It's a super awesome super power. That's cool that Jaime has got it.

Unknown said...

I followed the link to wikipedia and this is one thing it said though:

Synesthesia is also sometimes reported by individuals under the influence of psychedelic drugs, after a stroke, during a temporal lobe epilepsy seizure, or as a consequence of blindness or deafness.

So either Jaime has Super Powers or she is on Drugs. I am still in debate with which one to believe the most!!

Oh and K is naturally awesome and Pink. It is awesome cause it is part of my name and pink is my favorite color.

Erin aka Conscious Shopper said...

Jaime, I am fascinated! I want to know the colors for the letters in my name!

Also, I've always thought of C as more feminine than K. But the very best letter is T.

Tiffany and Brad said...

This is the best post you've ever written by far. I'm so glad I read it three weeks after the fact.