Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tag, I'm it

So, I've been tagged. (Hi Tiff!) And I guess I need to share some of my "unspectacular quirks" with the world? To be honest, there are so few things about me that are unspectacular that this is probably a harder assignment for me than for the rest of you out there. I'll do my best, though. :)

Rules:
1 - List the person(s) who tagged you
2 - Mention the rules on your blog
3 - Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks of yours
4 - Tag 6 fellow bloggers

Here goes:
1) I like being anonymous or semi-anonymous on the internet and in public. Josh has alluded to this in previous posts. I have a hanging parking pass for work that has my name on it in bold print, and I always take it off the rear-view mirror when I'm not at work. And I do use a tiny picture for my public Facebook listing. Maybe I'm paranoid...maybe I just like to think I'm hiding from the world when I'm not....I don't know where the impulse comes from. This whole blog thing kind of contradicts it, anyway. Maybe that's why I don't post as much?

2) I really enjoy flossing. You may think your teeth are clean after just brushing, but you are living a lie, I promise. I'm not above preaching about this subject. And really, it's very satisfying to get out all the food that's stuck in between your teeth. YOU SHOULD DO IT.

3) I'm a political news junkie and I read the New York Times every day. That's more than I read my scriptures. Clearly I'm not a good person. Maybe if the scriptures had a website that updated with new, fascinating articles every day it would be different??? Fine, fine. Not a good excuse, I know.

4) According to Josh, it's quirky that I think black and brown don't match. Actually, I think they can in certain circumstances. He has just been offended ever since I called him out for not matching one day last week when he was wearing brown checkered shoes, navy blue socks, black jeans, and a brown long-sleeved shirt under a green plaid shirt. From this description alone, I think you all should be able to tell that I was right. Right?

5) I like standardized tests. Mainly because I do well on them. I don't enjoy the testing experience, necessarily. I just like to get the results back and have them as a form of self-validation. Recently I talked to someone who took the LSAT and I thought to myself, if it was free, I would totally take it just to see how I did. I really should get a hobby.

6) I love thrift-store shopping. I just read an article in (surprise!) the New York Times about how the financial crisis is forcing families to change their spending habits, and in the article they interviewed a family with bratty teenagers that were grossed out that they might have to wear PRE-OWNED clothes. This just baffles me. Why on earth would you pay full price for new clothes when you can find almost brand-new things for so much cheaper? Even if they smell faintly of moth balls, all you have to do is wash them before you wear them! And you can totally find cute things! And! You can save SO MUCH MONEY!!! (True Story: I looked everywhere in retail stores and online for a skirt I could wear while pregnant, and couldn't find ANYTHING that wasn't short, ugly, or ridiculously expensive. I went to the DI here, and found TWO for less than $10 total. There is no shame in victory, people.)

I tag Josh - really, he has so many quirks of his own he counts as 6 people. If anyone else wants to count themselves as tagged by me then please go ahead.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Thanks for answering my tag. I think you're awesome. :) How do you feel about being a mom soon?

Jaime said...

I feel happy/excited/terrified :) How about you? Are you ready for round 2? Or at least, are you ready to be non-pregnant again? You're still planning to have your baby on the same day as me, right?

Erin aka Conscious Shopper said...

Jaime, you have to give me some advice about thrift store shopping. I have been trying to do it more in the name of environmentalism and consuming less, but I really don't enjoy it. I don't mind buying used furniture or household decor, etc. It's clothes I have issues with. Of course, my mom and Miriam are both germaphobes, and I think I have a bit of repressed germaphobia. It mildly grosses me out to think of wearing someone else's clothes. Plus I don't enjoy looking through racks and racks of ugly clothes with the hope of finding a treasure. But maybe I'm going about it wrong?

Jaime said...

Actually, I can see how it's not for everyone :) It does take a little more of a time commitment because there can be a lot of junk out there to sort through before you find the good stuff. And sometimes there's a lot of good stuff, sometimes there's not really very much. Most of the time I enjoy the searching, though, and even in regular stores I end up sorting through lots of racks to find something in my budget, so....it all depends on how much time you have and your level of patience. If you are the kind of shopper who likes to be in and out, then thrift store shopping might not be your thing.

In terms of germophobia, I don't know if I can help you there. :) The idea of wearing other people's clothes doesn't bother me personally, and I always wash the things I buy before I wear them. It's also not uncommon for me to find things that still have the retail tags on them, so they can't have been worn more than once or twice anyway (if that).

You might try consignment stores instead of places like the Goodwill or Salvation Army (the DI equivalent out there). Their prices tend to be a little higher, but still lower than retail, and they usually have a better quality selection of stuff so there's not as much "treasure-hunting".