Saturday, November 16, 2013

Hild

I started reading a new book on the trip up, called Hild, by Nicola Griffith. I read a glowing review on NPR that piqued my interest so downloaded a sample on my kindle. It's historical fiction (my favorite!) about the early life of St. Hilda of Whitby, a seventh-century abbess and an important figure in the establishment of Christianity in England.

Well, I finished the sample and it was awesome! Which is terrible because now I have to pay money for it if I want to finish. :) Cheapskate that I am, I usually just stick to the free classics or the $1 or $2 daily deals. It's so new the library doesn't have it yet.

Some of my favorite YA fiction is also set in medieval Europe featuring strong female protagonists (Karen Cushman's Catherine, Called Birdy and The Midwife's Apprentice) so I am excited about this title, although I don't think it's YA. (So, don't hold me responsible for content if you pick it up yourself. :) ) So far, the characterization is great and the amount of historical detail describing life back then has been amazing-  obviously deeply researched, but blended seamlessly into the story.

What are you reading these days? I am also working on The Place of Knowing, a memoir by Emma Lou Thayne.

2 comments:

KevandChels said...

Sounds interesting! Have you read Pope Joan? Totally speculation as to whether a woman was Pope in medieval times but I loved it. LOVING your daily writings!!!

Jaime said...

Thanks Chels!! I haven't read Pope Joan, but I'll have to look for it!